1. It's been a longggg 2 weeks since my last Sunday 7 post! I got sick, and that turned into something else, which developed into a sinus infection that I'm still battling...all while traveling for the store, for fun, and a big install! I'm taking every immune boost supplement under the sun and think I have finally turned a corner. You know when you needed something and didn't even know it? That's how I feel about our family time in California - at one point we were all in the car driving along PCH (singing at the top of our lungs with the windows rolled down) and Syd and I looked at each other and both said, "We really needed this." Our legs sure look pasty, but we were happy to enjoy a few days off.
2. After our family trip, I stayed behind and drove up to LA for an install of a remodel project we've been working on since last summer. I'm very excited to share the photo/video tour soon, but here are a few iphone sneak peeks for now:
3. The shirt I'm wearing in the last photo is from here and I get compliments every time I wear it. The detailing is really unusual and the fit is flattering.
4. I had 1 hour all to myself to go shopping yesterday and on a whim decided to go into H&M. Just thinking of going in there usually makes me sweat. It makes me feel old and it's so overwhelming, BUT I did find a few great pieces! So without further adieu, here are my top finds at H&M that don't look like they're from H&M:
5. Our home plans are being engineered as we speak! I have been waffling back and forth about how I want the front porch area to look and we finally got it there! During this process I have discovered that I am basically the worst client ever, ha. I make a lot of decisions based on how things feel and I just knew something wasn't right, but couldn't put my finger on it. Here is the progression in screenshot form. Keep in mind this is a rendering, so the colors/materials aren't selected yet and there will be 2 big sconces on either side of the door. Each elevation would make a beautiful home, but we needed to find the sweet spot for us! We're going for a streamlined traditional look.
Round 1: . Double columns and an arched porch with arched door. It was pretty, but too much going on for me.
Round 2: Straightened everything out and then it felt too simple for the look we're after.
3rd times a charm: We removed the columns, went back to the arched door, and changed it to a standing seam metal roof porch suspended between both sides of the home. The Goldilocks of the options, it felt juuuust right. I'm still finalizing the lights, but I'm leaning toward these.
6. This week was also a big week at McGee & Co. because we launched bedding! You can see the webisode on 3 fool-proof ways to style your bed here. Bedding is something that you don't change out very often, but use every single day! I wanted our collection to be a mix of soft linens, crisp cottons, and cozy layers. I think bedding is a great way to mix and match both styles and price points. If you can't spring for all the fancy stuff, my advice is to buy Costco sheets and pair them with a high-end duvet and beautiful quilt or throw. I can't pick just one favorite, but the linen body pillows, cut velvet quilt, striped coverlet, and classic hemstitch duvet are sure up there.
7. We will be going to Minnesota at the end of this week to check on the progress of a modern lake house project we've been working on from the ground up. It's going to be stunning. We have never taken on a project this minimal or modern in style, and it has pushed us creatively! I'm so proud of how it's coming together. Stay tuned for more in stories on Friday!